I am the one who gets up early in our marriage, usually hours before my wife. Since I enjoy cooking, it’s become our tradition to make a big deal about Sunday breakfast. I don’t mind the extra time it takes to make a special meal form scratch. I also think the scents of a cooked breakfast lures my wife out of bed.
This is my recipe for breakfast pizza. It fills the kitchen with the aroma of toasted cheese and onions. My wife is never late to breakfast when I pull this out of the oven.
- 1 pre-made, thin pizza crust
- 1/2 red pepper
- 3 green onions
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 tsp red pepper or more to taste
- Cheese: either mozzarella, asiago or a mixture of both
- 4 eggs
- 5 strips of cooked bacon
- 1 tsp thyme
- Dried pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Wash onions. Trim off ends but keep the green stalks. Slice thin.
- Slice the red pepper into thin, nearly translucent rings. Pat dry.
- Mix olive oil, onion and thyme in a small bowl. Let set for ten minutes.
- Crumble bacon. Set aside.
- Spread onion-oil mix over the pre-made crust to about 1/2 inch from the edge. Reserve 1/2 tablespoon oil.
- Sprinkle with cheese(s).
- Arrange the red pepper slices on top of the cheese
- Sprinkle bacon atop the pepper slices.
- Season with salt and pepper flakes.
- Slide the pizza directly onto the oven rack. Don’t use a pan. Set timer for 6 minutes.
- Fry the eggs in a preheated skillet to desired doneness.
- Remove pizza from the oven when done.
- Remove eggs from the skillet. Place atop the hot pizza, one egg per quadrant.
- Spoon the remaining onion oil over the eggs
- Cut the pizza. Serve right away.
You can use other pizza toppings like Italian sausage or mushrooms. Less is more with the cheese. Just sprinkle enough to cover the crust.
Timing is everything! Do your best to pull the pizza out of the oven as soon as the eggs are done.
This would be a great brunch or dinner entree.