Here’s a recipe for a satisfying and tasty breakfast. This version of Huevos Rancheros is full of flavor, combining cilantro, toasted corn and the tang of sour cream
I usually make it for Sunday breakfast, but you can make Huevos Rancheros for brunch and it’s a great, quick dinner. This recipe makes four servings.
- 8 corn tortillas, six-inch size
- 1 green onion, chopped
- cilantro to taste, chopped. (I use lots, about 1/3 cup)
- 1 ripe tomatillo, chopped
- 1/2 fresh tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup green taco sauce (don’t use the normal red sauce; its flavor is too sweet)
- 1 can refried fat-free beans
- sour cream (low fat)
- 4 eggs
- shredded yellow cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the onion, cilantro, tomato, green taco sauce and tomatillo in a small bowl. Set aside.
Toast the corn tortillas. You can do this by placing the corn tortillas, one at a time on hot electrical burners, a stovetop grill or any hot surface. DO NOT put directly on an open flame. Make sure to toast both sides so they are singed, but not burned all the way through. Stack the toasted tortillas on top of each other to keep them warm and soft.
Fry the eggs to desired doneness. Remove from heat and set aside
Assemble and Cook!
- Take a toasted tortilla and place two tablespoons of refried beans in the center.
- Gently place another tortilla on top and press down on the beans underneath. Use your fingertips to push the beans into an even layer sandwiched between the tortillas.
- Spoon another tablespoon of refried beans on top of the second tortilla. Spread evenly.
- Add a fried egg on top of the beans.
- Top the egg with a dollop of sour cream. Spread.
- Top the sour cream with the sauce you made. A good tablespoon is about right. Spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Repeat the above steps for the remaining three servings.
- Place the cookie sheet in the hot oven. Cook for five minutes or until the cheese melts.
If you don’t have refried beans, you can use a can of pinto, kidney or black beans. Just rinse them off, drain and mash them in a small bowl to make a paste.